AUL Says Planned Parenthood’s Annual Report Shows that Abortion IS Business as Usual
“The greatest irony in this report is that Planned Parenthood tries to claim credit for reports of a declining abortion rate, when every move they make is about making it easier to end unborn life, no matter how much women may suffer,” said AUL’s Catherine Glenn Foster.
WASHINGTON D.C. (05-30-17) – “Planned Parenthood’s newly released 2015-2016 annual report reveals that abortion continues to be a big business for the nation’s number one abortion chain, as taxpayer funding rises and other services continue their downward trend. Abortion is not healthcare, and American women deserve better,” said Americans United for Life’s President and CEO Catherine Glenn Foster. “Despite reports that the number of abortions performed in the United States is declining, Planned Parenthood once again reports an increase in the number of human lives ended in their facilities; 328,348 abortions last year. Additionally, despite their repeated claims that American women rely on them for life-saving health care services, many of their non-abortion services have continued to decrease.”
“Over the past few years, we have consistently seen the nation’s number one abortion chain callously attempting to corner the abortion market, while fighting in the courts and legislatures to keep medical standards low and profits high. As AUL detailed in our groundbreaking report Unsafe, dangerous conditions and a lack of concern for safety standards are present inside Planned Parenthood facilities across the country. The greatest irony in this report is that Planned Parenthood tries to claim credit for reports of a declining abortion rate, when every move they make is about making it easier to end unborn life, no matter how much women may suffer.”
AUL’s legal team observed a number of key trends in Planned Parenthood’s abortion-centric business model. Trends found in the report include:
INCREASE IN NUMBER OF ABORTIONS AND SCOPE OF ABORTION BUSINESS.
• Overall abortion numbers have increased 13% since 2006, when Cecile Richards took over the leadership of Planned Parenthood.
• Planned Parenthood performed 328,348 abortions, which is up from 2014’s 323,999.
• When combining all pregnancy services (abortions, prenatal care, miscarriage services, and adoption referrals), abortions accounted for 95.8% of services to pregnant women.
• Adoption referrals made up less than 1% of pregnancy services.
• Prenatal services dropped 46% from last year, and are down 76.7% from 2009 when Planned Parenthood began reporting this specific category.
• Abortion patients made up 13.68% of Planned Parenthood’s patient total for 2015-2016.
DECREASE IN ACTUAL LIFE-SAVING, LIFE-AFFIRMING CARE:
• Cancer screening and prevention services have fallen 66% since 2006, when Cecile Richards took over the leadership of Planned Parenthood.
• This includes a 63.5% decrease in the number of breast exams performed since 2006.
• Cancer screening and prevention services fell 2.5% since the 2014-2015 Annual Report.
• The number of Breast exams, HPV vaccinations, Colposcopy, and Cryotherapy services all decreased.
• Contraceptive services decreased 4.6% from the 2014-2015 Annual Report numbers.
REVENUE CONTINUES TO RISE EVEN AS NUMBER OF PATIENTS DECREASES
• Total number of patients continued to fall, from 2.5 million in 2014-2015 to 2.4 million in 2015-2016.
• This is a 22.5% decrease from the number of patients seen in 2006, when Cecile Richards took over the leadership of Planned Parenthood.
• The total number of clinics also decreased, with the 2014-2015 report claiming 661 clinics, and the 2015-2016 report claiming “nearly 650 clinics.”
• Total services increased less than half a percent (0.41%) over 2014-2015 numbers, but have fallen 6% overall since 2006, when Cecile Richards took over the leadership of Planned Parenthood.
• Federal funding for Planned Parenthood has increased 64.7% since 2007, including a $900,000 increase since last year for a total of $554,600,000.
• Planned Parenthood’s total revenues have increased 33% since 2007.
• Planned Parenthood’s reported total excess of revenue over expenses for 2015-2016 is $77,500,000.
To learn more about Planned Parenthood’s business model, detailed in AUL’s cutting-edge analysis, click here.
To learn more about dangerous conditions that can be found in American abortion clinics, click here.
To learn more about the health risks of abortion for women, click here.